I finally got back in the studio for the first time in almost two weeks. No sewing for the shop this time. Scooch desperately needed a new fall coat, and I had my eye on one I knew he would like. It just happened to be in the new Sewing For Boys book; the book I won a copy of from Sew, Mama, Sew! during the book's blog tour. Cute boy clothes patterns are a rare commodity, and to have a whole book dedicated to our little bug-hunting, tractor-loving, sticky fingered rascals is just bliss! I chased the blog tour, entering every giveaway along the way. I almost did cartwheels when I won! Then I had the long wait as it was shipped from the U.S. When it finally arrived, I got right to work ordering the fabric for the things I wanted to make first: the Luka Hoodie and Paulie's Pullover. Then I had to wait again for the fabric to arrive *sigh*. The hoodie fabric arrived first:
With fabric finally washed, dried, pressed, and cut; it took me part of just two evenings to complete the Luka Hoodie. I used brown baby wale corduroy that I ordered online from Germany for the majority of the hoodie, and then I used the adorable owl print from the Urban Zoologie line from Ann Kelle for the front and secret pocket. The lining is a brown knit which I wouldn't use again for something like this. The pattern called for less than 10% stretch. I couldn't find anything about the amount of stretch in this fabric when I ordered it, and it ended up having far too much stretch. Luckily, my walking foot saved the day, and the hoodie.
I love this little jacket. For reference, Scooch just turned three, and store-bought size 3 tops are a tiny bit big on him just now. I made size 4/5 of the hoodie because I wanted him to get good wear out of it. It's quite big on him now, but he LOVES it, which makes this mama super duper smiley. I love that the hood has elastic in it instead of a tie, and Scooch got a big kick out of the secret pocket. I think I can expect to find all sorts of 'treasure' hidden away in there in the future...
Such a cute little design, and loads of potential for changing it up. I kept my alterations minor this time. I put slits in the side seams, changed up which fabrics I used where, and added a little flap behind the buttons to prevent drafts from getting in. Oh and yes, I still have to add buttons. I wanted to see it finished before deciding, and I think I'm going to have to go with covered buttons.
Now for the rest of the book. I just love this book. The designs are adorable, simple and practical, and the patterns are straight-forward, and not fussy. You really can make a whole wardrobe for your boy (or girl) with this book. I'm not sure that I would recommend it for complete beginners though. The instructions are more basic and there is not a lot of hand-holding with extra explaining and diagrams. I really love how simple the designs are, leaving loads of room to be creative with them. Just for starters, take The Henry Shirt; a cute, short-sleeved, snap front, collared shirt. Replace the snaps with buttons. Make it long-sleeved. Use linen for a casual look. Use shirting for a dressed-up look. Embellish the front with pin-tucks or machine- or hand-embroidery. Leave off the pockets. Add extra pockets. So many options and now I can't wait to make this top in many different versions!