Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

book review: The Key to Taking Pictures Like A Professional Photographer


Have you seen this beautiful book yet? I have several photography books, but none are as simple, honest, and beautiful as this one. I've read so many that are better served as a coffee table book, offering not much more than pretty pictures. I've read others that are so complicated and lengthy that it's hard to remember what technique they were talking about by the time you've finished reading about it.

This book is so easy to read; Katie talks right to us as amateur/hobby photographers in a conversational manner. She shows two versions of the same image and explains why one is better. What I like about that is that she's showing us the most common mistakes (that I make, anyway) and how to correct them. Katie shows us what gear she uses and why and even included a whole chapter on editing.

I've read this book (I have the e-version) twice so far, and I keep going back to reread sections and to browse Katie's lovely photos. She has just released a handy guide on exposure that can be carried in your camera bag. Right now, she's having a 20% off sale on both the e-book and the hardcover. I might just have to cave and buy the hard copy... Katie also has workshops which are on the top of my list for when I move back to the US.

If you love taking photos, but are disappointed with what you're getting from your camera, I highly recommend this book. I definitely find myself reaching for my nice camera more often now that I can make better use of the settings and get better images. I just wish I had more time to go out and practice!

1 comment:

  1. Jolene-- I think we are one in the same. :) I have this e-book too-- I haven't read it yet, because I'm waiting to get a new DSLR camera (hopefully soon) before I spend too much time with it, but I've heard lots of great reviews about this e-book from people. Glad to hear you like it too. I need someone to start from the BEGINNING and it sounds like this one does!

    ReplyDelete