Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

1 every 7, not 1 every 1 for 365

I found out about this 365 days of self-portraits just today.  You know how it goes: I was reading one blog, that linked to another, that linked to another, that mentioned this project.  Yea, that happens a lot; and is probably half the reason I spend so much dang time on the internet these days.  Here's why this project caught my attention:  I hate hate haaate photos of myself.  I want to change that.  The original blog post I read, by Chelsey of The Paper Mama was about enjoying self-portraits.  I'll be honest.  The idea of taking photos of myself on a regular basis makes me feel a little ill.  Enjoyment would not be part of the exercise, for me.  Is that normal?  I don't know.  I don't know if more people are happy with the way they look, or unhappy with the way they look.  I know that I have loads of issues with my physical self; I always have.  In fact, in school a dear, sweet girl asked our school counselor how to make a friend like herself.  She was talking about me. Ouch. 


Then, I found Elena's blog, Selfie Magic, and read her post about why people should take self-portraits.
 Can I just say that that all hit a little [read: a LOT] close to home.  I constantly (and silently) curse myself when looking through photos because there are so few of me.  I've even commented to Mr. R about how our kids are going to ask me what I looked like when they were small because they won't have a clue from our 'family' photos.


So.  As painful as this is going to be for me, I'm going to start taking some selfies.  There is no way I can commit [at this point] to a full 365 days of photos.  I was going to go with 30 days; but after reading Elena's blog, I see she has a Selfie Saturdays link-up that she does.  While that sounds interesting for later, I don't think I want to be stuck to a certain theme at first.  I need to just get comfortable with holding the camera the wrong way first (see? there I go again - 'the wrong way'; like it's bad to be taking photos of myself).  But, that doesn't mean that I can't still post selfies once a week. 


That's my plan right now.  I'm going to post a selfie once a week (1 photo every 7 days instead of 1 photo every 1 day for 365 days).  The reason I'm broadcasting this on my blog is to hold myself accountable.  This is going to be hard for me to do.  Very hard.  If you see a week go by with no selfie, you hound me until I post one.  I mean it.  I want to see my comments explode on day 8 of no photo.  And just to clarify, I'm keeping the rules simple right now.  All I will require of myself is that I be in the photo.  So while you might not see my face in all of them at first, it will be a photo of ME.


Talk about a challenge...

No comments:

Post a Comment